- Adam York Gregory’s strip, The Flowfield Unity, has recently become part of the Transplant Comics collective; he will be appearing at the Lancaster Comics Festival in on Saturday (along with other webcomics luminaries). Also new to Transplant Comics, Grumps by Chris Jones (about which more here).
- Speaking of Lancaster, John Allison will have a special set of prints and a new SGR book that can only be had in person. Somebody pick me up one of each.
- Whitney Robinson wishes to direct your attention to her new comic, Alma Mater. It’s a slice-of-life comic set at Blenheim, an all-girls’ secondary school. New comics on MWF, and we are promised experimentations with the form in the future (psst: nobody tell Eric that means fucking infinite canvas).
- Jason Kotecki tells us that he really enjoys reading Fleen to get the inside scoop on new web comics. Thanks for the kind words, Jason! Coincidentally, he informs us as well about his comic, Kim & Jason; it’s about childhood, and he’s been running it, seven days a week, for about six years. Daily strip free, subscription to get into the archives.
- A. Nonymous reports that the WCCA committee is considering some changes to the awards; we’ll be following up with the committee to find out if the report is in fact true, and we’ll bring you the response. Along similar lines, Lewis Powell writes to suggest that we at Fleen set up our own readers choice awards, suggesting “The Fleenies” as the name. I dunno about that one … what do you guys think?
- Chad Diez informs us that he’s officially ending his comic, Today: The Comic, mostly due to copyright issues. The full story is available at the site of our arch-rivals, Digital Strips.
- And finally, Sean Conchieri writes:
Bomb Shelter Comics Wants YOU
So youâ€™ve got a webcomic, huh? Youâ€™ve even thought about trying to join a collective, but never heard back from anyone, right? Well, this is your lucky day. Because Bomb Shelter Comics is having their first-ever first annual Webcomic Idol membership competition! Thatâ€™s right, weâ€™re letting you guys try for a chance to join the BSC.
Not only that, weâ€™re offering up some goodies to whoever wins. Weâ€™re gonna give you everything you need to make that comic of yours wicked sweet, things like:
a free BSC subdomain to host your comic on if you need it
your very own forum on our board
and a free comic management script decked out just the way you like it
To enter all you have to do is send an email with your name and comic URL, DeviantArt accounts and things like that are okay too.
There is a catch though, you have to update at least once a week. Miss an update and youâ€™re out of the running. Of course, things like losing a limb and alien abduction will have exceptions made for them.
Weâ€™ve even compiled an all-star team of judges to help out on this thing too, like:
Tim Demeter â€” editor, Graphic Smash
Daku the Rogue â€” founder/podcaster, Digital Strips
and DJ Coffman â€” cartoonist, Yirmumah!
plus a one or two BSC members may get in on the action
So whatâ€™re you waiting for, drop that email on us. Weâ€™re ready and the judges are starting to foam at the mouth.